Tuesday, March 17, 2020

TWO-CENT TUESDAY

Below are a few (somewhat) brief, $.02 opinions about several books I've read or listened to recently but don't have time to review in full. Their appearance in this recurring piece generally has little to nothing to do with merit. Many of these books I enjoyed as much or more than those that got the full court press. I hope you'll consider one or two for your own TBR stack if they strike your fancy whether they struck mine or not.


                                                 Great Audio:

Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties, by Tom O'Neill

A great, knowing pal (thanks, 7!) gave me a copy of this treatise. I'd really wanted to read it, but finally went with the audio so I could get to it sooner. A fun, wild ride for anyone who is into conspiracy theories, the Manson murders, Hollywood of the Sixties, and just plain old-fashioned nutbaggery. Tom O'Neill dedicated so much of his life to this story you'll begin to wonder about his sanity. Then your own. Then everyone's. Much intense fun.





Superb Noiry Darkness:



My Darkest Prayer, by S.A. Cosby

Ashamedly, I've waited way too long to write about this fantastic gritty noir. Shawn Cosby is a hell of a writer. His protagonist, Nathan Waymaker (a man who "knows how to handle the bodies"), is a former Marine and Sheriff's deputy currently working in his cousin's funeral home. When a local minister is found dead, his followers feel the police aren't taking the case seriously. Since Nathan has a rep as someone willing to help out when times are tough, they ask him to take a look at the case. Great humor, snappy dialogue, characters to root for. Read this before the next installment, Blacktop Wasteland, comes out on July 14.



Dry County, by Jake Hinkson

Jake Hinkson writes great small town grit, and Dry County is no exception. A mix of politics, religion and a man willing to do anything to retain his power, it's a stark look at how people just keep digging even when they're in a hole. Richard Weatherford is a preacher in small town Arkansas who has grown his following and perfected the optics of his life with his wife and five kids. Things go south when a blackmail scheme threatens to take down everything Richard has built, and he'll go to great measure to put an end to it. Great stuff.





Interesting, but Disconnect:


The Town, by Shaun Prescott

I really wanted to love this one by Aussie Shaun Prescott, and for the most part I did. In a super cool premise, Prescott's unnamed protagonist shows up in a town in the rural Outback. He's writing a book about Australian towns that are disappearing. Then the town he's in begins to literally disappear as large holes to nowhere show up. People who get near them are sucked in never to be seen again. They keep getting bigger. It's about connectivity and belonging and ostracism and many other interesting concepts. Unfortunately, the conclusion also seemed to disappear. I wasn't entirely sure where Prescott ended up with this one. Maybe that was the point. Maybe I missed the point. There's great writing here, I was often transfixed, but ultimately the conclusion lost me.

Great, but Dry:


Our Wild Calling, by Richard Louv

I love me a good nature book. Subtitled How Connecting with Animals Can Transform Our Lives, the premise of this one grabbed me at the start. Within, Louv explores our powerful bonds with nature and animals and how they can "transform our mental, physical, and spiritual lives, serve as an antidote to the growing epidemic of human loneliness, and help us tap into the empathy required to preserve life on Earth." Unfortunately, the writing felt more like a textbook or treatise than a narrative. I realize it's non-fiction, but putting a story to a non-fiction premise makes it more accessible to those who aren't necessarily part of the sciences. A good and interesting work, but perhaps not for everyone.

DNF


Where There's a Will, by Emily Chappell

I have to take a good part of the hit on this one. I was really looking forward to this memoir by Emily Chappell, relaying the epic story of her efforts to win the Transcontinental bike race, a 4,000km trek across Europe, unassisted. During her first attempt, she failed, regaining consciousness lying on her back in a field. I love stories of people fighting against the elements and the limits of the human mind and body. For some reason, the start of this one (with Chappell coming to in the field) was really confusing and I had an immediate disconnect. Again, I think this was me and I picked this up at the wrong time, but the entry was not a smooth one. I'll give it another go one of these days.

No comments:

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP