Wednesday, July 3, 2019

NATURALLY TAN :: Tan France

I was honored to have a starred version of this review run in the June 28th Stonewall anniversary issue of Shelf Awareness, a one-time-only-all-queer-books-all-the-time sort of deal. This version is republished here with permission.

As a gay, Muslim, South Asian boy from South Yorkshire, Tan France grew up with a multitude of conflicting emotions. Sure of himself and "weirdly world wise" from watching mature television dramas, France faced racism and homophobia that left him doubting whether his differences would ever be accepted. He fantasized about "being a white kid," and pretended to "give a shit about watching football on TV when I clearly just wanted to watch reruns of Golden Girls and hang on the lanai, eating cheesecake with those broads."

In Naturally Tan, a thoughtful memoir full of attitude, heart and bravado, France shares how he became one of the "Fab Five"--a handful of design, fashion and culture experts who transform everyday "heroes" on the Netflix series Queer Eye. A "very few fucks given" kind of guy with an affinity for personal style, France forged a path to success at a young age, building several wildly successful fashion brands by his 30s.

France has a knack for straight talk peppered with feistiness and humor, and his conversational style makes for an entertaining read. Naturally Tan is a series of short, contemplative pieces on sexuality, diversity, media, celebrity, marriage and business that deftly mix in anecdotes and tips on fashion, dating and life. One of few South Asians on "such a grand stage," France is constantly referred to as "the gay, British Muslim." Despite the pressures and labels, he has learned how to be visible and shine as his refreshingly and unapologetically authentic self.

STREET SENSE: A fun, heartfelt and informative memoir from one of the Queer Eye experts that shares his personal history through entertaining, candid essays on fashion and life. Queer Eye has turned into something different than it was, and while the "old" version was fun, this one is more inclusive (gay men, lesbians, straight women, anyone can be nominated) and is all about helping the "heroes" feel good about themselves in ways that are unique to them, not necessarily what is thought to be mainstream or "proper." I admit it, I've shed a tear.

A FAVORITE PASSAGE:  It's almost impossible to top the Golden Girls on a lanai, so I went with something a bit more serious:

Straight people love to ask, “When did you know you were gay?” Maybe some people do have an epiphany. I am not that person. For me, when somebody asks me this question, it’s the same as someone asking, “When did you know you were a boy?” or “When did you realize you were a human?” Because I breathe. I’ve always known. It sounds cliché, but I never had that Oprah aha moment. I always knew that women weren’t for me. Don’t get me wrong—I’ve always loved women, in that I wanted to surround myself with females, and they are the people who have molded who I’ve become, but there was never a time when I thought it was a viable option for my romantic future. I also never thought that a man was not an option. Even when I was very young, I assumed I would get married one day and it would be to a man. Why wouldn’t it be so? It was men I was attracted to and loved, so it stood to reason that I would eventually marry one.

COVER NERD SAYS:  Nothing to complain about here. It's simple and straight-forward with a nice palette. You're know what you're getting when you see it. Also, I could really use the Queer Eye treatment, but even *I* know that's a great suit and awesome hair. The gray tee I've got covered. 

No comments:

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP