Thursday, June 20, 2019

NORCO '80 :: Peter Houlahan

A version of this review previously appeared in Shelf Awareness and is republished here with permission.

Norco '80 is enthrallingly detailed, down to the pencils thrown by opposing counsel in the criminal trial that followed "the most spectacular bank robbery in American history." Despite the depth and breadth recounted by journalist and EMT Peter Houlahan, the urge the book generates in readers to further explore this devastating true crime is impossible to suppress.

Houlahan begins with the not-well-laid plans of the felons (46 counts worth), who instead of seeing themselves as criminals saw themselves as simply needing funds to support their survivalist ideals in the face of the impending apocalypse. How else were they going to get it but to steal it? They were armed to the teeth, sparking a ferociously one-sided firefight that spanned more than 40 miles of crime scene in Riverside County, Calif. Responding law enforcement agencies were vastly overmatched, and the tragic outcome helped prompt a sea change in police weaponry, interagency communications (lack of which resulted in a life-and-death game of "telephone") and mental health support.

The drawn-out capital murder trial was perhaps even more outlandish than the pursuit preceding it, "highlighted" by a judge who took pictures during proceedings as mementos, a sex scandal and the defense continually attempting to "shove... sticks in the spokes of justice," including pinning the crime on a nonexistent man. Houlahan has admirably mined and winnowed the boundless material, and while nonfiction purists might be put off by some liberties taken (e.g., the inner monologue of a dying man), he has compellingly translated a high-octane story to the page without losing traction, leaving the reader satisfied yet craving more.

STREET SENSE: I was woefully and shamefully uneducated about this case. I'll admit, I had not heard of it (despite being California born and bred). Whoever hid it from me deserves a noogie, because holy cats this is a fascinating true story of robbery gone very wrong and the bizarre, drawn-out trial of the surviving perpetrators (I am ashamed to be in the same profession as some of these maroons). It's horrific, yet sometimes so comical you can't believe the truth. My "issues" with the narrative were total nitpicks, though I admit they made me question if other liberties were taken. Either way, well worth the ride.

A FAVORITE PASSAGE:  In a sea of weird, this may be one of the weirdest, but maybe I simply hold judges to a higher standard than I should:

Later in the trial, an incident occurred that raised eyebrows inside the courtroom and out. Clayton Adams was in the process of cross-examination when he noticed something strange. "No offense intended to the court," Adams protested at the next recess, "but I did want the record to reflect that while I was cross-examining the witness...the Court was, from the bench, photographing jurors." Asked about the incident by a reporter afterwards, Hennigan said, "We've been together a long time. I like having a memento of them." The AP wire story about the incident was headlined "Judge in Robbery-Murder Trial Photographs Jury for Souvenir." A quote...summed up the sentiments of anyone who had been following the proceedings from the start: "For this trial, it's not weird."

COVER NERD SAYS: By the time I was done reading I was in love with this cover--there is a lot that's smart about it. I misinterpreted it at first glance and thus found it a bit misleading. Because I didn't know about the case, "Norco" for some reason gave me thoughts of "narco." Perhaps because the dudes in the picture look a little hippie-druggish, I assumed this was a drug case and wasn't too interested. Usually not a fan of subtitles, in this case it hooked me, because I realized this was a robbery, not all a drug story. The 70s color scheme also totally knocked my socks off and, in no small part, influenced my asking to cover this one for review. Now that I'm educated, I love the whole thing (though to be honest it still gives me a bit of a drug vibe).

No comments:

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP