Monday, December 31, 2018

Favorites of 2018

I don't really do resolutions as I subscribe to the theory of "Aim low and you may pleasantly surprise yourself." However, one thing I would like to do is write more in this space. For god's sake, my Shelf Awareness reviews are already done and I couldn't find the energy to transfer them here. I did just delete about 12 "draft" reviews I transferred from Shelf, so I THOUGHT about it several times; maybe in 2019 I can do better on follow-through.

In any event, I also thought about doing categories, but sometimes you have trouble fitting books into categories, or have too many choices for one category, so I just picked books and then figured out a category for them. My blog, I can cheat if I fucking well want to. 

Overall Favorite - ON THE JAVA RIDGE by Jock Serong


Favorite Poetry - DON'T CALL US DEAD by Danez Smith


Favorite 'Kid is Way More F'd Up Than Me" Story - BABY TEETH by Zoje Stage


Favorite Memoir - WHITE HOT GRIEF PARADE by Alexandra Silber
 

Favorite Non-Fiction, Science - PLIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD by Matt Simon


Favorite N-F, Don't Fuck With This Kickass Woman - SHRILL by Lindy West


Favorite N-F, True Crime - I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK by Michelle McNamara


Favorite Audio - CALYPSO by David Sedaris


Favorite Debut - BRASS by Xhenet Aliu


Favorite Short Stories, Non-Fiction - AMATEUR HOUR by Kimberly Harrington


Favorite Short Stories, Fiction - RETABLOS by Octavio Solis


Favorite "Crime Fiction" - AMERICAN BY DAY by Derek Miller





No comments:

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP