Friday, February 20, 2015

STRICTLY POSITIVE

A week of family and friends losing loved ones and more vet bills needed some positivity.  Here are a few things that lifted my spirits:

Exhibit A:  From the "Some people are raising their kids right" files, both of these stories warmed the cockles of my cold, shriveled heart:

First up, Tommy Adams, a teen driving through snow-packed Virginia, made his mother stop the car so he could shovel snow for a an elderly man with a walker. Kudos, Tommy, you're aces with me.

Also kicking ass in the "I'm going to be a good grown human" department is Harmonie Frederick, a nine-year-old from South Carolina who sent a letter of encouragement along with $5 she got from the Tooth Fairy to Ron Rivera, coach of the Carolina Panthers, after his house was damaged by a fire. In return, Harmonie received a note from Rivera, along with some Panthers gear and, of course, her $5 back. She plans to save it for college.

Kids like these put some big fat marks in the "We Are Not Doomed" column.

Exhibit B:  A family out kayaking in Santa Barbara picked up a surprise passenger when a sea lion pup jumped on the back of their kayak and went for a 20-minute ride in the sun (even "snuggling" with the Dad, hello diabeetus from the cute).  If you're interested in the video, click here, but below is a photographic glimpse at this super nifty moment:



Exhibit C:  Many, many moons ago, my brother started choking at the dinner table. The joke goes that I hemmed and hawed over giving him the Heimlich Maneuver while he turned blue, but eventually gave in based on the chance to break one of his ribs without punishment.  I received a text from my brother yesterday saying the following:

"I finally paid forward the time you saved my life with the Heimlich. Yeah, I saved a guy's life today.  Do I get to go to heaven now?  Is that how it works, or do I still have to go to church on Sunday?"

For the record, he would be struck by lightning if he walked into a church (as would I), but I'm still proud of him. And he can always make me laugh.  But I can still kick his ass in a cheek fight.

Exhibit D:  Speaking of my brother making me laugh, I was proud to find out he picked up one or two of my babysitting skillz.  A lesson from our father was to always have duct tape and WD-40 on hand. Well, when you don't have duct tape, packing tape or saran wrap might do in a pinch:



 P.S. Dear CFS - No children were harmed in this incident.

Exhibit E:  A German Shepherd and an owl are best friends.  I REPEAT, A GERMAN SHEPHERD AND AN OWL ARE BEST FRIENDS:




That's all, kids.  TGIF.

2 comments:

Care said...

Positively one of the best posts I'm sure to read today.

Marisa @The Daily Dosage said...

The Owl and the Dog...best photos I've seen in a long time!

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP