Friday, January 30, 2015

STRICTLY POSITIVE

Well, this week was yet another filled with car repairs.  Oof.  Looks like it's time for Lolo to go chariot shopping.  Which is sad, I love my Flintstones-era Pathfinder, we've had some fantastic adventures together.  This week also added one dog repair, which is something you never want your week to include.

Everyone is now fine (knock wood, though I haven't started the car in a few hours, so who knows what fun the afternoon might bring?), but it was also a busy week at work, so I've kinda had my nose in my own little cocoon.  Not much on the "good world news" front this week, so if you saw, read, or heard something from a global perspective that made you smile, feel free to share.  Or share a good something from your own personal cocoon, it's all about the good here, wherever it comes from.

Exhibit A:  A view like this helps any crap week feel a little better:

 

Exhibit B:   Received this fantastic pic from my brother of he and my nephew having some crazy time, which always brightens my day.  My brother has turned into such a great father, I wish our dad was around to see it.  He'd be proud:


Exhibit C:   Beloved Stepson got to be on stage as President Obama came through town to speak at his university.  Really proud of him and how far he's come since going away to school.  We'll make a full lefty out of him yet!

Exhibit D:  Yet another reason I love the book community is the chance to get involved in some fascinating discussions with really smart people.  In this recent column, Erin Mitchell sums up a few varying takes on the recently published The Girl On The Train and the marketing juggernaut that surrounded it.  She also links to a nifty discussion a few of us had over on Facebook.  It's pretty interesting stuff, if you've read the book I hope you'll go add your $.02 to the conversation.

What this conversation brought home to me yet again is that I love when smart minds differ on a piece of art and share their opinions.  We might not win anyone over to our side, and that's not even the point. Seeing things from another's perspective can only bolster our own humanity, right?  Maybe a "too grand" view of things, but if you want a more base view, it's this:  the world would be a damn boring place if we were all alike and loved the same things.  Diversity is the bomb.

That's all I've got folks.  Like I said, rough week with the added downer of having to wear the work blinders.  So bring on your own positivity, I could use a bit more.

TGIF, y'all.   

2 comments:

Pop Culture Nerd said...

There was a dog repair?? Gah. Glad to hear she's OK. Did your car start up?


Years ago, I did a play in which a character, struggling with identity issues and being bullied at school for being different, said, "Why can't we all be alike?" The play then segued into an alternate-world sequence in which we all came out dressed exactly the same, talked in the same monotone, mirrored one another's gestures, and agreed with one other about everything. It became so annoying the character who wished for this had to yell, "Stop! This is no fun at all!" Long way for me to say I agree that diversity makes the world less boring.

Malcolm Avenue Review said...

What a great play! And you think it would be fine if it was all YOU, like your style of dress, things you like, etc..., but really that would be just as horrible. I like to live with the illusion I'm ok to live with/be around, I don't want to be proven wrong by firsthand experience. :)

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP