Friday, January 9, 2015

STRICTLY POSITIVE

The deluge of world news ranging from simply bad to absolutely horrifying is getting me down, kids. In an effort to pick myself up, I'm trying to pay more attention to the positive things going on around me, however small they may be.  Fridays are going to be set aside for a post on positive things I read, heard, watched, or saw throughout the week.  I may not get it done every week, but here's the first installment for your (I hope) reading and viewing pleasure:

Exhibit A:   This text conversation with Pop Culture Nerd after she returned home from traveling and opened my Star Wars-themed Christmas card (the only Christmas card I mustered the gumption to send because I knew she had to have it):

PCN:  HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT STAR WARS CHRISTMAS CARDS?! Must buy a box next year. Just got your card. Love it. Thanks.

ME:  It was just a solo card (see what I did there?), not a box. Cute though, huh? You're welcome.

PCN:  Yes, I C (3PO) what you did.

ME:  Nice, I want to Leia high five on you for that one.

PCN:  You can if you obi-wan to.

ME:  I would, but I'm afraid I'd miss and my hand would Lando on your face.

PCN:  I wouldn't care for a Jabba at my face.

ME:  Nope. One shot to the Jinn and that would be all she wrote.

PCN:  It would be a Biggs mistake for me to let that happen.

ME:  No fear, I'd never do it.  I've never Amedda someone I like as much as you.

***

At this point, I had to concede we were scraping the bottom of my off-the-cuff Star Wars recall and I was having to cheat by looking at a Star Wars cast list.  Star Wars wunderkind PCN was shocked and chagrined, I'm sure she could have kept this up all day.


Exhibit B:  From the "Good Things Happening for Great People" files, I smiled from ear to ear when I read Eric Beetner's end of 2014 post, because he has a fantastic 2015 coming on the publishing front. If you haven't read Eric's work, get on that. It's dark and gritty, often dirty and sweary, and always fun and well-written. On top of all that talent, he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet (and you will question that after you've read some of his stuff).

Eric's past works include Dig Two Graves, The Devil Doesn't Want Me, short story collection Bouquet Of Bullets (near and dear to my heart), One Too Many Blows To The Head/Borrowed Trouble (a series with co-author JB Kohl), Stripper Pole At The End Of The Universe, and short stories in just about every thuggy, noiry collection ever invented.

For 2015, Eric has THREE new novels coming out (Huzzah!), along with an omnibus version of his seven part kindle series, The Year I Died Seven Times.  Plus, as his blog post promises, SURPRISES. Can't wait to get my hands on all of them.  Be sure to keep up with the latest at Eric's blog, linked above, and his website, which you can find here.  If you go to the website right now, you can see the kickass cover of Rumrunners, coming later this year from 280 Steps Publishing.


Exhibit C:  This spam text I received yesterday (I can't help it, it made me laugh):

"I may not be Wilma Flintstone, but I can sure as hell make your bed rock. Text me."


Exhibit D:  This dog was abandoned by her owner. Getting on in years and heartworm positive, she did not have a great recipe for adoption. But she was adopted, and 18 volunteer drivers, EIGHTEEN!, took part in the cross-country transport to her new home.  Sometimes people kick ass:



Exhibit E:  THIS PICTURE:


TGIF, y'all.

P.S.  The Disqus comments have been a little wonky (the technical term used by the Disqus tech rep) of late. If you want to comment and don't see the comment link, click on the STRICTLY POSITIVE header and it should take you to a comment page. Apologies for any inconvenience.

4 comments:

jen_forbus said...

What a wonderful idea!! I love it. And I love your exchange with PCN...much better than our recent Disqus exchanges...no wonder you picked Star Wars over ours!

Malcolm Avenue Review said...

Ha! The thought of you having to waste time dealing with Disqus tech people was one of the things that made me to need to do this post. :)

le0pard13 said...

Awesome, Lauren.

Pop Culture Nerd said...

This is a great idea! I love those dog pics. And hearty congratulations to the Beetz!

About Malcolm Avenue Review

I was lucky enough to be born and raised in a nifty, oak-shaded ranch house on Malcolm Avenue, a wide-laned residential street with little through traffic, located amid the foothills of Northern California. It was on that street and in that house I learned most of my adolescent life lessons, and many grown-up ones to boot. Malcolm Avenue was "home" for more than thirty years.

It was on Malcolm Avenue, through and with my family and the other families that made up our neighborhood of characters, that I first learned about and gained an appreciation for the things I continue to love the most to this day: music, animals, photography, sports, television/movies and, of course, books.

I owe a debt of gratitude to that life on Malcolm Avenue. It gave me a sense of community and friendship, support and adventure. For better and worse, life on that street likely had the biggest impact on the person I've become. So this blog, and the things I write here, are all, at their base level, a little bit of a love letter to Malcolm Avenue.

Labels

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP